Saturday, November 10, 2007

The Hospital Again

Around 2:00 am on Thursday Brian took Noah to the Emergency Room. He had a fever that spiked to 102.8 and it was SCARY! By the time Mom arrived from Columbia and my brother, Michael, drove me to the hospital to find Brian, Noah had already been given a room and had an IV attached to his head. The ER staff had just completed their systematic tests with all the poking and prodding. All the needed blood was drawn and we were told to wait. Wait until Saturday morning...in the hospital.

NOTE TO SELF: When rushing to any area hospital always bring a change of socks and underwear...and a toothbrush, extra shirt, some snacks, something to read, a journal, and a 12 pack of Dr. Pepper. If time allows, grab Brian's toothbrush, too.

After learning how to avoid the wires and monitor cords attached to my newborn, I settled in for the two day "mini-vacation" with Noah. I spent hours sitting in a broken, reclining rocker that was propped up against the wall facing the all-important TV. While in the hospital I reaffirmed my personal hatred of cable television, needles, plastic pillows and monitors with annoying alarms, but fell more in love with my newest baby. Noah, even while battling sickness in his little body, smiled and cooed as if to reassure me that he was feeling better. He is an amazing baby with an even more amazing temperament.

This morning after too many hours of cautiously positioning the IV line away from Noah's tiny hands, all attachments were finally removed and we were allowed to return home. We're tired and couldn't be happier to be out of the hospital! Noah no longer has a fever but does have a lingering cough and a few bruises from IV "misses" on his hands and head. Oh, and he has a bald spot as one of the nurses had to cut the mass of tape holding the IV in place from his little head. AH! His first haircut and I didn't take pictures! - isn't that a sin of some kind???

So, no more sicknesses or hospital visits for this family, please!!! Bring on the turkey and the Christmas tree! We need a real vacation!

2 comments:

Jessica Sanford said...

I am so very glad to know that Noah is doing better. :)

Are we still on for Tuesday?

Elizabeth said...

You make it sound like you've been in the hospital a lot. Did you go any other times besides your labor and delivery?

I can't imagine being in the hospital w/a newborn! With an IV in his head!!! Sounds like you took it better than I would have. On the bright side, now that you know all was okay, I'm glad you got some nice along time w/him!