Thursday, November 01, 2007

God's Will from Our Hearts

Let's say God has His will for your life written on a simple sheet of paper in heaven. And, let's say God gave you that simple sheet of paper to read over. At the very bottom of the surprisingly blank page is an endorsement giving you permission by Almighty God to write how you'd like your life to be lived out. What would you write?

I'm not trying to start a debate about God's will or how much or how little we determine the course of our lives...but I am trying to draw out your dreams. What do you dream about accomplishing in your life? What big picture do you see?

I believe God has placed giftedness and talents beyond measure in each one of us. His intention is that once our hearts are won over by the love of Christ, Jesus will shine through our lives with the use of those specific gifts and talents unique to only us.

What do you love to do?
What makes you come alive or invigorates you?
When do you feel like you are accomplishing something worthwhile?
What things do you consider easy and enjoyable that others view as challenging or uninteresting?
What are your passions?
What do you dream about?
What have others noticed you do well or have great success in?

Jesus has purposefully placed those abilities, dreams and passions in your heart...but not just for yourself.

The bible says we should offer ourselves as living sacrifices to God as our spiritual act of worship. Yes, it is actually spiritual to do what you love, to be who you are. Being real is worship to God when we hold nothing back and give Him our all.

Here are my talents and what I feel I'm good at doing. Here are my passions that make my heart come alive. Here are my dreams - too big for me to accomplish on my own.

God made us intentionally. No matter how your life began He knew you would be here, living and breathing as another wonderful work of His creation. So, if we are made on purpose, shouldn't we live in the same manner? On purpose? With purpose.

To live with purpose, begin with who you are and what comes naturally or with ease. God's will doesn't have to be abstract or unknown. Simply bring glory and praises to God by how you live in this life. Let other see Him through you. Use all He has equipped you with to accomplish His will for your life.

Now take out a simple, blank sheet of paper and write down the things you are passionate about and your dreams of fulfilling those passions. Submit them to God in writing, offering Him your all. All your gifts, talents, dreams - everything that your heart contains - give to Jesus for Him to work through you, bringing glory to God. Keep the sheet of paper. In a few years you may find God's endorsement was at the bottom after all. And, you'll be able to look back and see God's will was for you to be YOU living fully from your heart for Jesus.

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Okay, my only question for you is how the heck do you have time to think about these things when you have a newborn???

Elizabeth said...

PS I LOVE your post. Thank you for writing such heart searching topics. I will also re-read when I fully "wake up"

Judy said...

Oh Lori...that is sooooo true...you are so on target with your post. A couple of weeks ago I turned back my journal pages to see what was going on when I started journaling in a blank book whose cover reads "just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly". I was so amazed at where I was and where i am today that I started posting those journal entries. My hope was to share what amazing things God can do with your life if you allow Him access to your dreams. I'm not really sure if the posts speak as loudly to readers as they do to me...probably not...but still. Anyway....when a person can answer those questions you asked, she is one step ahead, but our Almighty God can answer them if you don't even have a clue...kinda like myself. I sorta knew the answers, but since I had tried to live them out before (of course on my own power) and failed so miserably I thought for sure that God would never ask me to do it again. Wrong again...paragraph 5 of your post is the absolute truth...I love your post...I want somehow to print it so I can share it with my disciples...I wonder how to email them your blog site....obviously it's not one of the things I've had great success in :)
Anyway thanks for the insight and taking the time to post your thoughts...hope to see you on Sat. Judy