Friday, November 07, 2008

First Fire Movie Night

We are having a movie night tonight after wrapping up a week of B being home on strike. I will miss him so much come Monday! One day we will figure out a way for B to be home more and have less stress on his body from work. One. Day.

So, the living, dining, and toy rooms were cleared of clutter (read: toys, hats, mittens, and children's jackets), B started the traditional "first fire" of the year as it is finally cold enough, and after scarfing down a quick dinner we started the movies.

Piggy was on the verge of tears as Nemo was taken away from his daddy. He had seen the movie several times at Mom's - but I guess it was his first time of "really" watching Finding Nemo. Spikes and Lamby were patiently putting up with Piggy's outbursts and dramatic exclaimations. They were not so patient about the popcorn. We popped on the stovetop with a bit of corn oil and yellow popcorn over medium-high heat. B added salt, butter and a touch of sugar - perfect. Each kid had a cup of popcorn and a drink to enjoy and to keep out of Frog's reach.

Frog moved kitchen chairs all over the lower level of the house as the other three watched their movie. Occasionally he came over to the computer to push a random button then continued on his way, which included a quick walk through the living room to bite any toes hanging over the edge of the couch - usually the toes belonged to Piggy. Piggy is easy prey tonight as he won't take his eyes off the tv, even to save his toes from one-year-old brother nibbles.

It was a quiet, toasty warm evening. I love First Fires.

What tradition(s) have you started in your family?

2 comments:

Mon said...

The first movie Makayla showed emotion towards was 101 Dalmations.

Elizabeth said...

Can I come over? I miss having a fireplace... the only place I've lived where we had one was in the house I grew up in. I remember being so cold and then standing infront of the fireplace until my back felt like it was about ot peel off and then I'd turn and toast my other side.