Saturday, April 19, 2008

Rain-out Hotline

We have Isaac signed up for soccer. We had to sign him up for at least one season of some form of athletics to blend in with the locals. It is an unstated rule that every suburban child must participate in a sport of some fashion from pre-school age on up. Our choices were narrowed down to tee-ball and soccer. We were given the options of going through the city, the county, or through some private school. We opted for the city.

Isaac LOVES playing soccer. With the rain and working around recent scheduled camping trips and funerals he's attended one practice. The forty-five minute practice was life changing for him I'm sure. I know my life has changed - from a stay-at-home mom to now a soccer mom. What does this mean for me? It means that on a rainy Saturday morning my kid has a game scheduled at dawn. Since it is raining I have to call the all important "rain-out hotline". I call for half an hour solid. I get a busy signal three hundred and twenty-four times so I turn to the internet after I get Noah resettled in his crib. Noah slept through the night for the first time last night so he was starving and was passed to me as Brian headed out for work - B's getting in a little overtime today. So, I have a starving baby that wants to eat and I need to know if this game is on or not but every suburbanite in the area is calling the same stupid number. The one single phone line with the say on how my day will go on this rainy, overcast Saturday is locked in a busy signal. Why is there only one rain-out hotline? WHY?!?!?!

I managed to quick-feed the baby and finally make it downstairs to check the website. You know what it says? "Call the rain-out hotline"!!! Forget it. I called the coach at dawn on a Saturday. I woke the man up. You know what he said? "Call the rain-out hotline".

As he read off the number for the hotline I'd been calling since the first bird was tweeting this morning I was thinking to myself that this stupid. "The game has been rained out by the way..." I mumbled a polite thank you and apologized for waking the guy up though he's the coach and was holding out on me. Who knows, maybe someone tried to call us as the first rays of sunlight were coming through the scattered rain clouds. But, I didn't get the call. You know why?!? I was calling the rain-out hotline like every other suburban mother in our city!

Now, I will be known as the mother that calls in the coach in the early AM. That's one step worse than the mother that calls after 10:00 pm and during dinnertime. That's even worse than the mother that forgets to bring the team's snack on her scheduled weekend. Crap, when is my weekend??? I bet the coach isn't back asleep yet. I'll just give him a quick call...

How did you spend your first hour and a half today?

11 comments:

Mon said...

I haven't been up for an hour yet. My to-do list is:
wash diapers
shave the dog
trim FIL's hair

Anonymous said...

Okay, here's my first hour and a half on this typical Saturday morning. Woke up at 6:30, checked rain out line even though I knew the game would be on, and laid out shin guards and black socks and black pants. It's picture day, so we want to match and we don't want any issues about what favorite wild colored pants ect.. we want to wear to the game, so we're laying them out on the step. Sniff tested the uniform shirt to make sure it made it through the hamper to wash cycle and not the back in the drawer back on my body cycle. Let me back up, I first let out the dog, fed him, and let him back in. Laid out layers of clothes for little brother to wear to survive sub-artic winds on soccer field. Woke everybody up and as they were dressing, made breakfast, set out toothbrushes and rinse cups. Untied knots in soccer shoes and found match to little brother's shoes and set them by the door. Grabbed water bottles and put by door. Dressed myself as kids are brushing teeth. Put up butter, etc.. from breakfast. Weighed and measured middle kid for trading cards for pictures and wrote down information on order sheet. Grabbed my camera, chair, and water bottles by door and put in van. Combed kid hair. Searched for favorite Lego Man to make journey to soccer field. Grabbed coats and loaded into van. Waved hello to neighbor mowing grass. Drove to soccer field and frantically tied shoes and slicked down hair while running to team pictures. Turned in picture envelope order sheet. Moved van to other side of parking lot and set up chair on sidelines. Cheered for my kid and told my other one repeatedly to stay out of the large mud puddle and not to put prized Lego Man in tall grass. Okay, this was actually in my first two hours up. Congrats on your new soccer mom name tag. You all will have a lot of fun, despite the rain out line! ~A

Mon said...

Wow, Angie. That's alot crammed into 2 hours. I love the part about the wild pants! I can just see your son now.

Jessica Sanford said...

My first hour and a half this morning was spent trying to go back to sleep... it didn't work... and I'm going insane.

Did you get my flipping long e-mail? Because things got worse. haha

I don't know if I should congratulate you for becoming a soccer mom, or laugh.... tee hee hee :)

Elizabeth said...

I don't know how I feel about my best friend being a soccer mom.

Brian left you w/puking/diarrhea-ing children and went into work while you were gonna tote them all to Isaac's first soccer game? You go girl!

Lori said...

Monica - have you ever considered "accidentally" giving Dad a mohawk? How cool would that be?!?

Ang - You amaze me...but where the heck does Steve go on Saturday mornings?!?!?!

Jessica - yes, I read your journal, I mean, email. HA! And, yes you are going insane...be prepared to dive deeper. =)

Giz - I was totally praying for rain. Can you imagine me and my four kids trecking across a muddy soccer field actually arriving ON TIME? Riiiight. That wouldn't happen even without the added issues of involuntary puke/poops. We went to the rescheduled game on Sunday. I got a lobster sunburn on half my body. The kids and Brian did not burn. Now Brian is requiring me to be in sunlight once a day so I don't become transparent or "see through" like those fish that live along the bottom of the ocean.

Anonymous said...

Steve was on a scout camp trip, so it was just me and the two amigos. Here's a tip for soccer snack week. Keep a stash of juice boxes and goldfish bags in your van. Whenever you show up for a game to find out it's your snack week and you forgot, all you have to do is go grab it from your van. Just hope you haven't been raided beforehand by starving children after a trip to the park. I also keep a large umbrella for sun or rain, sunblock, wipes, blanket, first aid stuff and comfy chairs in the van for soccer season. It's easier than reloading all the time. Sometimes I keep a bunch of bottled water and gatorade in there if we're really busy. Okay, Monica, how'd you manage to sleep past nine on a Saturday with your little people? My mini alarm clocks are always up before then and are full speed ahead. That's great that they sleep in for you. Enjoy it. ~A

Lori said...

Good tips, Ang - thanks! Except water bottles (any bottle with the recycle circle arrows surrounding the number 7) are toxic. I know you already know this as you stay up on those safety things, but I just learned of this little issue recently. Great, so I quite soda drinking and am killing myself with bottled water!

Oh, and the times on this blog are off by an hour - it is still on Jersey time. I tried changing it once or twice without any luck. My computer is still on Jersey time, too. Annoying, but true. But, Monica's kids are good sleepers even with the time difference. I...am...so...jealous!!!

Actually, the kids - now that we are bringing our current bowel virus to an end - are sleeping great. Noah slept over eight hours in his crib last night. I LOVE this baby!

Mon said...

I got the diapers washed and shaved Harley. It looks rediculous, but the hair is gone! I have yet to trim FIL's hair. Now, that it's getting hot, I think I am going to trim up Ruben's mop head also.

brittneymann said...

wwwwooooooooooowwwwwwww.. and i thought high school was complicated..im not ready for this whole baby world haha at least i still have college :)
love,
your niece who adores all of her adorable-puking-pooping-soccer playing cousins :)

Mon said...

I'm tired og the "Rain-out Hotline". Can we get a new topic to read?