Friday, March 13, 2009

Gems in the Garbage

The poem below was in a book I found tucked in one of the many bags of garbage a neighbor left on my porch as "good hand-me-downs". I decided to toss the thread-bare bras with the non-stretchy elastic showing through the torn holes. (I don't keep underwear as hand-me-downs even if they are in good condition - a girl has got to have standards!) Oh, and all the broken toys went in the trash, too, as well as the toys that had been chewed on by their dog. "Gee, thanks."

Two gems I found were a copy of the book quoted in the next post, Meditations for the Expectant Mother by Helen Good Brenneman (1998) and a copy of The Bible in Pictures for Little Eyes by Kenneth N. Taylor (1956), a book no longer in print and worth a pretty penny. The books somehow made up for the trash heap left on my front porch.

And, with that said, I want to say a special thank you to anyone and everyone who has generously given us their non-chewed on, in-good-condition hand-me-downs. Our children aren't running around naked because of you. Just kidding. My kids love running around naked. Got ya' again. The kids are hyper-modest, really. They most definitely get their extreme modesty from me. If they were like B...well, that's another blog post...

No comments: