Thursday, August 16, 2007

Quiet Time - Shh, Mama's Sleeping

I want my kids to have memories of me seeking God and reading the Word like I have of my mother. I remember Mom at the kitchen table reading and reading...then, filing her nails and polishing them...then, reading some more. As a teenager I picked up that late night habit of opening the Bible and disappearing into the passages. How did I know to do that as a younger (and much thinner) woman? I saw my mother doing it and I followed her.

Fast forward to me as a young mother. I decided to attempt an early rise to read from the Word and pray so I got up with Brian the other morning - which seemed to throw off his morning routine, but I refused to return to my comfy, cozy, warm bed. I sat up on the couch and using my baby-filled belly I thought I'd start with a chapter from a revival book I've been reading. Next thing I know Isaac is waking me up asking for Fruit Loops.

So, I am not a morning person. This isn't shocking to anyone who has known me for more than twenty minutes. I function better at night. Brian used to say I got my start at 9:00 pm. I could fly through the house cleaning and/or doing projects with robust energy from 9:00 pm on. Nnnnnnnow, I'm not a night person either. In fact, I could take a nap at any given time of the day. It is beyond me why my children hate naps. I tell them everyday, "Mama would LOOOOOVE to take a nap. You take one for me." I envy their afternoon naps!

Anyway, back to me setting a great example for Isaac of how to sleep on the couch...

I'm not giving up on establishing the ol' "time and place" for meeting with the Lord, but I'm realizing how flexible I have to be with the babies and the minimal amounts of sleep they afford me. I don't know if I will ever be a full on night person again, or if I will ever bounce out of bed before sunrise bursting with energy (unlikely). But, I do know my children will have memories of me seeking God. I will pray and read and pray and read...and nap a little and nap some more...then, pray and read more. And, one day they will follow my example.

4 comments:

Amy said...

you also have the church to set an example to. they see you at prayer group and they know you go to bible study on Thursday nights and church every other saturday. I don't think that your kids will have any problem having a relationship with God!

My mother is a great part in my walk with God, but so is my father! my father gets up at the crack of dawn and reads and prays and all that good stuff. But my mother is the same as you, she is not such a morning person...so she does it in the afternoon...this way her kids can see her (cause we are not morning people). I say that not every person can get up at 6 in the morning so don't stress about it, do it in the
morning in the afternoon or at night whenever you don't fall asleep...God is always there no mater what time of day it is!

AEG

Mon said...

This reminds me of when Sophie softly chanted "Mama, I awake. Mama, I awake." from her crib while you were sleeping one morning after pulling an all nighter studying the bible and discussing with your mom. She is so sweet.

Jessica Sanford said...

This is osovery off topic, but what is your e-mail address? I need it so I can invite you to that content trading website. :)

Krissy said...

It's awesome how you're setting a good example for them! Kids learn best from their mommy and daddy, that's for sure! And hey, you could set an example of the importance of taking naps by taking one yourself... :)